Sports

Banchare Danda Landfill Site Infected Area Committee not to allow garbage disposal from August 17


The Banchare Danda Landfill Site Infected Area Committee said on Thursday that it will not allow waste disposal at Banchare Danda landfill from August 17.

At a press conference in Kathmandu, the committee said it took the decision to that effect since Balendra Shah, mayor of Kathmandu Metropolitan City, said plans were afoot to manage waste generated in Kathmandu Valley inside the Valley itself.

“Mayor Shah has said that he will manage waste in Kathmandu from mid-August. We support his plan wholeheartedly. That’s why have decided to forbid dumping waste in Banchare Danda from August 17,” said Shreeram Dhungana, chairman of the committee.

He said the committee has decided to continue their protest against using Banchare Danda landfill site as an alternative to Sisdole since their past demands remain unmet.

“The agreement on land acquisition remains unattended. They had said the land acquisition issue would be solved within six months but nothing has been done so far,” said Dhungana. “We were told that a technical team along with people’s representatives would immediately arrive for evaluation. But it’s been two months since the agreement and we are still waiting.”

According to Dhungana, since the mayor has decided to set up waste treatment plants within Kathmandu in each ward, waste disposal at Banchare Danda should be stopped.

“The City plans to set up waste management plants in each ward and we welcome the move. The waste generated by the City will no longer be allowed to be dumped at Banchare Danda,” he said. “We will instead like to have a football ground on the dumping site area in Banchare Danda.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.